Thursday, May 3, 2012

The gift you can give your child that keeps on giving


Yoga for Kids from Marsha Wenig

   Marsha Began teaching yoga in public schools in 1984. Now, 28 years later
   the momentum of introducing children to yoga is really picking up. In a Yoga
   Journal article Marsha tells us why.
   "Children derive enormous benefits from yoga. Physically, it enhances their
   flexibility, strength, coordination, and body awareness. In addition, their
   concentration and sense of calmness and relaxation improves. Doing yoga,
   children exercise, play, connect more deeply with the inner self, and
   develop an intimate relationship with the natural world that surrounds them.
   Yoga brings that marvelous inner light that all children have to the
   surface."

   Read the full article now:
   http://www.yogajournal.com/lifestyle/210

I teach a yoga based program to children that I call, YogiDance. I began practicing yoga at 16 and no one made me do it. After trying a class I was hooked because I felt like a different, better me. After practicing weekly for a few months I started to notice a deeper impact, one that was mental. Aside from the obvious physical benefits I gained, I also began to develop better coping skills and learned to handle my emotions in a positive way.

In today's society children are faced with numerous stressful scenarios and distractions. The emergence of the technological age has given life a whole new dimension. There are few opportunities for kids to disconnect from the pressures of society and just be. I see the impact that yoga has on the kids I teach. Yoga kids develop compassion and a healthy lifestyle that will guide them through this journey. I am grateful to have the opportunity to share the journey with others.


No comments:

Post a Comment